- Got the charcoal starting in the chimney
- Patted the wings and drumettes dry with a paper towel
- Applied the Chicken Rub generously on the chicken
- Poured out the charcoal on one side of the grill and a drip pan on the other
- Placed a cast iron skillet on the hot side and added some oil
- Once the oil was hot, I tossed in a layer of chicken
- I left the chicken in the oil only long enough to crisp up the skin (I like my wings crispy!)
- After frying the chicken until the skin was a bit crispy, I moved them to the indirect heat side of the charcoal grill.
- Once all the chicken was on the indirect side, I tossed a handful of hickory chips on the coals, shut the lid, and turned the dampers down to get the heat near 350.
- I let the chicken soak in that yummy smoke and indirect heat until they were fully cooked then pulled them off and plated them.
- Finally, a battle ensued with my family for who could eat the most chicken wings - they were a hit!
I wanted to try out our new Most Wanted Chicken Rub last night, so I fired up the Weber and got grilling!
Follow our blog for the latest recipes, tools, and accessories for your bbq grill and hearth appliances.